WHY A BOYS’ SCHOOL
Calling Academy is a high school for boys in Stellenbosch. The decision of starting a school for boys has been taken for the following main reasons:
- Before Calling Academy was started, there used to be a greater shortage of high school places for boys than for girls in Stellenbosch.
- The academic achievement of boys is, on average, significantly lower than for girls, particularly in lower income areas. Calling Academy addresses this shortcoming.
- Given the severity of the social issue of absent fathers, the school has a clear focus on developing a healthy fatherhood framework and so invests in future fathers.
- Achieving financial sustainability as a low fee school is easier as a single sex school, notably when it comes to sporting facilities, coaches and ablution facilities.
- Nationally, more than 60% of learners who attend low fee private schools are girls.
- Many of South Africa’s sought-after schools are single-sex schools. More such schools that are accessible to low income communities can be created to contribute to the overall landscape of South African education.
Calling Education will assess the strategy of single-sex vs co-ed education in different locations as the school chain is developed.